It's been awhile! So I will walk you through the last couple of days...
Another important part of the Occupational Therapy Process is Reflection.
Some of us are natural reflectors, and some are less inclined to think back to days gone by. Some are constantly reflecting, so much that they are constantly revisiting the past, forgetting about what lies ahead.
For an OT reflection is practice related, but I think everyone can benefit from this skill - for instance, a lighthearted reflection might as well ask if it was really necessary to eat an entire pizza just because it was free. Or another example, what was I thinking, volunteering to lead a charity group to tour machu picchu next summer? Or did I really think I could join the football club, climbing club, christian union and choir - all of which meet on Tuesdays?!
As you may have gathered, school has started, but the academic part won't really materialize until we go on placement in less than 2 weeks.
In the meantime we are slowly experiencing the other aspects of university life.
University life presents a unique opportunity to exchange ideas and meet new kinds of people.
Tiffany and I went to the Christian Union's meet and greet games night tonight. About 20 young people were there looking for fellowship and a new church community while they stay in Northampton. It was nice to connect with like-minded individuals.
Last Sunday, at Reynard Way Church, there were 4 adult immersion baptisms. I have never seen this myself, so it was quite powerful having the young members read their testimonies, completely submerge into the pool, all to the choir of amazing grace. Amazing indeed. Also a praise item is the fact that two of my roommates joined me for worship that Sunday as well! It's just really exciting to know that wherever you go, God is still God, and in total control!
Today we had a "breakaway" training at a nearby hospital. This is a mandatory violence prevention activity, and as I've worked in health care for awhile, I thought I knew what to expect. I did not expect our trainers to be huge - 6 ft 3 heavy tattooed, with matching black uniforms. I also did not expect the training to take place in a completely padded room, in the soundproof area of the hospital. I was beginning to wonder if perhaps I should "breakaway" myself, or at least have written a will. Needless to say, we had a great time, learning how to get out of all sorts of threatening holds, hair pulls and strangles. You know you have an interesting job as a trainer when to say "do you mind if I strangle you?" is part of the work script.
I just can't believe we are just shy of our month anniversary here! It feels like ages, I mean I feel I blend in very well, I have biscuits with my cuppa, mostly remember to bike on the left side of the road and try not to act concerned when someone says "are you alright?" They just mean "how are you doing today?"
The leaves are changing and the weather is cooling down, another season passed. But not to worry! Something new is just around the corner:
"You are blessed because you belong to God - He chose you, shaped you, and prepared you to make a difference in the world." ~ This is what my daily calendar has to say about Sept. 24. It's actually still Sept. 23 but I decided I liked tomorrow's phrase for this post instead. Why not!
Well, cheerio mate.
I thought I would officially introduce my roomates to you, as we are doing this adventure together.
This is Danielle. She is blending a smoothie by pedaling a bicycle. She loves animals, except for spiders which she has an extreme passion about keeping at bay. To date we have gone through peppermint oil, rigorous kitchen cleaning and now after a small tarantula episode, resorted to buying spider poison off the internet. She is also very good at taking care of all the important paperwork aspects of our living arrangements. She misses her puppy. I have watched more dog videos with her in the last month, than all my previous video watching life. I think I may have become a dog lover too.
This is Tiffany. Or "Jazz hands." She is constantly incorporating dance moves into everyday activities. I'm pretty sure she danced her way out of breakaway training this morning. She also never goes a day without wearing something hello kitty. I think that was the first thing she mentioned after going to church with me. "Did you see that little girl with the hello kitty dress?" She is absolutely adorable, always smiling and a lot wiser than the average 23yr old.



No comments:
Post a Comment