Saturday, 6 September 2014

These Boots were made for Walking

It's Saturday night, or afternoon, depending on what side of the world you are viewing this from.
I hear the valley has some lovely sunshine today! Enjoy it.
Well, we made it through the first week in England.
To celebrate we ventured to a cute local pub, which this weekend offered a beer garden atmosphere.


An interesting observation is that in the UK, it is totally acceptable to bring the whole family to this sort of outing, and everyone was entertained, whether it was Grandpa watching football on the tele, or the children playing tag in the grass. Quite enjoyable.

We were told at school last Friday that we weren't expected to be back until the following Thursday! It's a strange phenomenon for us, the 4 recently un-employed, turned international students. What to do? We literally have only explored as far as our boots have taken us, which I might add is quite a few miles...

I decided to take a hike. Well, I tried to find something with some elevation gain. I asked the friendly chap at the mobile store for some advice. He got really excited and mentioned some really great "walks" that were over an hour away by bus. It was then that I ate an entire Milka chocolate bar.
The English don't really understand incline like us from the West Coast.


Now, for a little local history :this is FOOTWORKS, Northampton's claim to fame. This shoe factory inspired the film "Kinky Boots" that is now a Broadway Musical, right up there with Phantom of the Opera. It looks abandoned now, but still stands magnificently as a reminder to what put Northampton on the map.

 Even though it's not hiking, it's nice to walk everywhere, you experience more of the scenery, and rub elbows with some of the locals. Everyone is happy to talk to an "American."
I am looking forward to tomorrow, to be back at Reynard Way Church, and to pick up my new BIKE that Sonja found for me. I can't wait to have my own set of wheels...

Have a blessed Sunday!


No comments:

Post a Comment