I'm happy to be back here to "connect" again will all of you!
Today, everything is awesome.
I'm 7 days into my 9 week placement, and I am loving learning how to think and act like an OT. England is getting some of it's notorious rainfall, but the days are full of learning, building relationships and reflecting on this fabulous opportunity!
Who doesn't love a fresh new ID badge! Best part of the uniform for sure. I did my first initial interview yesterday, the typical questions like do you know what day it is, have stairs, cook your own meals, do your own laundry...some days I wonder if I would pass myself.
If you haven't already met these lovely folks on my Facebook page, here are the faces of the Stallions Wheelchair Basketball team.
Who knew all those years maneuvering wheelchairs and shooting hoops in hopes of making the high school basketball team would finally pay off! I love this sport. The training is intense, apparently falling out of your wheelchair is to be expected! Can't wait to be back into the competitive sports scene! I've already been asked to fix a few chairs...
One day we ventured to the aquadrome, sometimes having an accent comes in handy, the security guard waved the 10GBP parking fee for us lost tourists, and let us walk around for free.
Here is Tiffany, myself and Paula - a friend from church, at said aquadrome
Happy Belated Thanksgiving! I hope it was a joyful celebration with family or friends. Tiffany is helping to prepare our 1 of 2 Thanksgiving celebrations here. She would her Martha Stewart dress for the occasion.
Thanksgiving dinner was enjoyed by our Canadian classmates and their 20 or so flatmate friends. Needless to say there was plenty of food for everyone, and we all took turns saying what we were thankful for. To be fair, most were thankful for the food. But at this point we were all very hungry.
Someone contributed their amazing artistic talents to create this scrumptious thanksgiving cupcake.
Speaking of food, my most favorite meal at the moment are these spicy bean burgers from ASDA, the local grocery store. Next time you are at ASDA you should definitely give them a try!
This is the morning commute. 4 of us from Uni carpool to our placement, together we endure the traffic, variable weather, repetitive radio songs, and the deep questions about life that occasionally I spring on everyone. Have to keep things interesting right? Fun fact: all 4 of us come from different countries, England, Ireland, China and Canada!
This is the least desirable part of my placement. Our office is on level 6 so either its a cardio workout taking the stairs (my usual choice) or a claustrophobic, get to know your college really well experience, in the most tiny lift I have ever been in. Literally we have 4 or 5 of us in here at a time. Also, something I find ironic about this whole scenario is the location of the yellow "caution wet floor" sign in the corner. First of all, why would you take up any more of the precious space, now we are down to 3 occupants, and second, where are we going to fall down? The lift is so small we wouldn't have anywhere to move to much less horizontally.
It's the small things that keep life amusing.
That's all for now!
Before you know it, Christmas will be here, so enjoy today.
Love from Northampton.
Just 'caught' up on your blog. Seriously sweet to read it, it feels like you are right here, you have a great way of writing. Very cool experiences, keep living it! x
ReplyDelete