Sunday, 10 May 2015

Home is Where the Heart Is.

Hello all, 

That would be if you are still reading this blog and haven't given up due to my lack of input!
This will be the last blog post of England 101 - An introduction to life overseas. I'll be moving forward to what would essentially be England 102 - What assimilation into English culture looks like. At least I feel like I fit in, I drink builder's brew tea, say bin and trousers and don't think twice about what side of the road to cycle on. 
Sometimes the accent still poses a problem however - "you're going to Island? like Jersey Island? wait - just Island? What a strange name, never heard of it.. Oh! IRELAND. So sorry, yes I know where that is..."

Anyway, with one essay to go and two weeks to home time, year one of this adventure is drawing to a close!" 

The recent highlight was when my two friends Emma and Natalie came for a visit. Just having them around, living life in England together was so enjoyable! 


Here we are! Big Ben chiming in the background. Nat's first time in Europe!

Taking the friends around on bikes was highly entertaining. Looks like they are enjoying themselves.



 This was a highlight for me! Three friends decked out in running gear. My neighbors constantly ask me if I'm training.. just training for life?


The day the friends moved on to their next exciting location - Paris! I was invited to go to the Peak District with some rock climbing friends. Since the last time I attempted to go to the district the car broke down on the motorway and we spent the day at the service station, I was more than happy to tag along! An amazing day with some fantastic views!


The crew embarking on an adventure
  
First time wearing a bouldering mat!  


Photo credit to Esther! 

 A week later Sonja and Eric decided to take Tiff and I to Cadbury World. It was a tasty experience. Too tasty, with 3 free chocolate bars, a cup of melted chocolate to eat and a buffet lunch before - safe to say we rolled out of there. Cadbury World was also very educational. The surrounding village of Bournville was used by George Cadbury - a Christian - for housing and living space for his employees.


 This is what surfing on chocolate looks like. 


Julia, my new rock climbing buddy, invited myself, her brother Jeff to join her and her children in the new 'caving' experience at the rock gym. I don't particularly like small spaces, and may have sustained some injuries flailing some limbs in an effort to get out as fast as possible. The kids liked it. That's the important part. 

This, my friends is living proof that we do Uni work. This was a presentation on doing music as therapy with clients with dementia. The feedback we received was that we were very entertaining, like watching a TV show. Um.. that's good right?


Only in England does your lawn mower have a cord that requires plugging in to function. That being the case, we were only able to reach half our lawn. I guess they don't have big gardens here.  


For the Bank Holiday we went with some church friends to a bluebell wood. 


Tiff and I also took advantage of our school break for Easter and went to visit some of her relatives in North Wales. This was the picture of the UK I was expecting before arrival last August; hills and sheep. 

I was not expecting Tomas the Tank Engine


We saw some sailboats

As well as the ocean
 Loads of sheep! 

We were in two countries at once! Yes, Wales and England are separate countries and not particularly fond of each other. The UK is a bit of a puzzle, you tube really helps. 

That's it! Year one of two almost complete. Upon reflecting, I came to the understanding that God is not geographically or culturally bound. He is everywhere and will never leave you or forsake you. The safest place to be is doing God's will.
I am so grateful for this season of life, and thankful for the support from family and friends in Canada and England. 
For now, I'm excited to return home to some fabulous people, the mountains and being able to confidently say I like your pants!
Till next time, take care!

1 comment:

  1. Hey love this post bel!
    I have a lot to say
    1. sorry to say but you still have floss legs!
    2. we have a plug in lawn mower.
    3. nice pics and looks like you are having fun and keeping life interesting
    4. love you reflection about God
    5. nice PANTS hahahaha

    ReplyDelete