Friday, 26 December 2014

Merry Christmas ~ Netherlands style

I LOVE being back in Holland, reconnecting with my family, and experiencing Christmas through the eyes of the dutch. 
I didn't realize how much England has influenced me, as my first time on a bike here I promptly starting biking on the (wrong) left side of the road. The cycling here is just incomparable to anywhere else I've been. There is a new bike bridge to Zwolle, the next town from Hattem and you can pedal to the next city in an astonishing 10? minutes. 



I love the attention to detail and presentation my aunt - and it seems to be all the dutch - have talent for. Spoiled with special treats for Christmas!





Christmas dinner consisted of 5 courses from appetizer to dessert - all included on our personal menus in French. Delicious. The dutch do less gift giving and more eating. Perfect.  


Opa took me for a ride in his car in the country. Equipped with Netherlands - English dictionaries and Google translate, I say we had a successful conversation. 



We experienced some real winter temperatures at our visit to the ice sculpture displays in Zwolle.It's amazing what art can be created from ice. Here a rocket is taking off with puff of ice smoke. 


 Settlers is a universal game. I think I'm a better player in the Netherlands, or it could just be the beer? :P 


One day I ventured to Amsterdam on my own. I have never been so pleased in a photo. Here I am successfully standing outside Amsterdam central train station.  


This is a modern painting of Rembrandt's "Night Watch." I don't know if you have seen the original, but I thought this to be a clever parody. 


Here is where the original Night Watch is kept - the Rijk's Museum . The building itself is art. 



One of my favorite treats from the market - a warm stroopwafel!


So European.  

                                     

This one I call "The Couple and I." The joys of solo travel!


The first evening out with the family!  


This is where my father was born. Their place was the second level. Every time I am in Holland I take a photo with the house. I only have two photos with this particular place however, because the previous years I took a photo with the neighbors house instead. I've been informed since.  


Hattem's landmark.


I reunited with Rianne, my dutch host sister, when I was in Holland in high-school for the international exchange program. I also got to meet her precious baby.  


My host brother and father decided I was the outdoorsy type and took me mountain biking in the woods behind their house. It was quite the experience! We decided everyone needs some healthy fear once in awhile. 

Merry Christmas everyone, hope the season is happy and bright, and most importantly a reminder of the reason we celebrate Christmas at all! 

Seasons Greetings.

2 comments:

  1. Have a great holiday Bel. Wishing you the Lord's blessings and guidance in the new year! Love from all of us in the vdgriendt house:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you are keeping busy and doing a lot! Say hi to the fam

    ReplyDelete